|Cooling Tower Replacement
|LSREF3 TIGER ROMFORD S.A.R.L c/o Workman LLP
|The Mercury Mall Shopping Centre, Romford, Essex
Replacement of the existing open cooling towers located within a purpose-built enclosure on the roof of the building. The works included:
- Pre start validations of existing systems.
- Pre start acoustic and structural surveys.
- Retrospective planning application.
- Removal of redundant towers on a phased basis and installation of new by crane.
- Installation of new pipework, electrical and control services.
- Provision of O&M manuals.
The existing towers had reached the end of their useful working life and due to a decrease in the cooling demand by the tenants of the centre, it was decided to replace them with more energy efficient units with a reduced duty. So as to maintain partial services within the centre, the towers were replaced one at a time which involved two overnight crane operations. A system of new stainless-steel pipework was installed from the towers and connected to the existing plate heat exchangers located within the adjacent plant room.
The works also included the following:
- Provision of a new support frame and access gantry.
- Replacement of the primary condenser water pumps.
- New BMS control system.
- New power supplies.
- A new auto dosing chemical treatment system and chemical cleaning of the new towers and associated pipework.
- Provision of side stream filters to clean sweep the towers on a nightly basis.
- Provision of operating and maintenance manuals and training of the site staff.
- A 12 months service and maintenance contract.